Wednesday, January 07, 2009


Spaghetti & Roasted Meatballs

With the exception of a pot to boil the spaghetti in, this is a one pan dish. You should be able to get it on the table in less than 45 minutes. I make it on busy weeknights and it seems pretty effortless to feed the masses! But don't let that fool you. This dish is Italian restaurant worthy and your family will be grateful!

Preheat oven to 425

Place in a small bowl to soak while you start the meatballs:
4 slices of soft white bread, torn into SMALL pieces
3/4 Cup milk

In a large bowl combine mix well and set aside:
2lbs hamburger
4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
a little salt & pepper
1/2 cup fresh parsley (or couple tablespoons dried)
1 cup grated parmsean cheese
1 tbsp dried oregeno (I usually use 3 Tbsp fresh if I have it)
1 tbsp dried basil (I usually use 3 Tbsp fresh if I have it)
1 tbsp paprika

Pour into a 13 x 9 pan:
2 28oz cans tomato sauce
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp parsley
salt & pepper

Squeeze out as much milk from the soaking bread cubes as you can, then add the drained bread to the meat mixture. Make into 12 large meatballs, about the size of a tennis ball. Place all meatballs in the 13x9 pan, right ontop of the sauce mixture. the meatball will probably only be covered by 1/2.

Bake 30 minutes.

I start my water to boil the spaghetti after the meatballs have been in the oven 10 minutes, which gives me time to boil the water and cook the spaghetti. This way everything comes out ready at the same time (give or take a couple minutes!).

No comments: