Monday, January 19, 2009


Creamy Guacamole

2 or 3 ripe avocados
a dollop of mayonnaise
salt & pepper
1/4 to 1/2 cup of salsa
garnish with cilantro or parsley
Mash together with a potato masher.

There's a lot of ways to make guacamole, I use what I have on hand. A lot of folks use lemon or lime juice, but we like a creamy guacamole, so I use mayonnaise (it has vinegar in it). The lemon juice helps to slow the browning process. I have the same luck with mayonnaise. If I don't have salsa, I throw in onion, garlic, and green chili and some cayenne pepper or tabasco sauce. There's a lot of different ways to make it - experiment! Guacamole doesn't keep - so don't make it until you're ready to eat it. I like to make it with room temperature avacados, then I put in the fridge for about 20 minutes. You must put the plastic wrap right on the guacamole surface, so no air will get to it. It turns brown fast, this is the best way we've been able to keep it from going brown before we eat it! We like it with chips of course, but it's most excellent on cheese burgers with bacon.

No comments: